Friday, March 7, 2014

Lake to Lake Relay St. George Utah



The Lake to Lake relay was a day long relay race from Gunlock Reservoir to Sand Hallow State Park. A total of $45 per person which makes this an extremely good deal. It’s a great warm up race from some of the longer relays like Ragnar or Red Rock Relay. It’s also a really good race for beginners or those who are sick of the two day long relay races.

As a disclaimer, I was not the team captain. In fact, I was a fill in runner for someone that got injured. Because I was not the captain, I did not receive any information directly from the race directors. Our captain attended a mandatory captains meeting the night before the race that she reported it was very informative and pretty short.

The race guide was very handy with driving directions and running directions. I don’t memorize my running directions because I assume there will be people in front of me and signs if I happen to be in dead last and so far behind that I can’t see anyone. This course was poorly marked resulting in one of our runners going slightly off course and we witnessed a couple other runners who were headed the wrong way. 

The course was very pretty and as you can see the weather was beautiful after the hail passed (which of course was on my leg).


There were some tough uphills and very few declines. It was certainly challenging but overall a great course.

There was no on course support because it was a relay. Due to the small number of teams, there were only three porta-potties at each exchange. After the first two exchanges the lines were very small. They had volunteers at each exchange. However, the running path was not cleared at each exchange, you can imagine the chaos! Runners were dodging teams waiting for their runner, the porta-potty line, and vehicles. But again, this diminished after leg two as the teams got spread out. More than one leg had runners routed through the parking lot in which the support vans were told to park. As far as I know there were no injuries, but it was a little nerve racking for the driver and the runners.

The shirts were a very nice shade of blue with a really nice water design. They certainly look better on! The medal has the same design as the shirt. I am happy to add this one to my collection.

This was a good race with a lot of potential. I liked that it wasn’t crowded and it had a low-key feel to it. It’s definitely one to check out if you are thinking of joining the more serious relay race crowd. Overall, I give it 3.5 shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment