Thursday, May 8, 2014

Miles For Mitchell 5k

Miles for Mitchell was held on May 3, 2014 in Herriman, Utah.  This was an amazing community event to be a part of.  This race was not competitive and is more of a journey to be the best that you can be.  It was a great run for me after having a baby a few months ago and not being in the best of shape.  This race had every shape, size, age, babies in strollers, families running together, dogs, and even two boys with the same disease as Mitchell in their wheelchairs.  The organizers and volunteers were so encouraging as well as runners (and walkers) cheering each other on.  The race was timed and even had pace runners but had a very relaxing feel to just finish.

An email was sent out a few days before about packet pick up and times for the race.  I wish they would have included the route.  I tried to find it online and could not.  I figured knowing the area and living close by that it would run around the neighborhood by the park.  But I would have felt more comfortable if I had known for sure where I was going.

Race packet pick up was super fast.  I walked into the RunGr8 store, told them my name, and walked out.  It is so nice to pick up packets during store hours so you can go when it is convenient for you.  The packet had so many free things that I wouldn’t expect for a fundraiser run.  I was very impressed with the coupons and free things that I can use.

The park was busy the day of the race.  My only complaint on race day was that we started about 15 minutes late.  Mr. Jones gave a few words of thanks and then we were off. The course was great.  There were three water stations with cheering volunteers.  There were also lots of officers to help with traffic and keep us safe.  At the finish line there were oranges and water for the runners.

When the race was over they did the raffle and then there were tables for the silent auction to browse through. My family came to see me finish and get a waffle from Waffle Love.  Everyone should be rewarded with a waffle after running.

There was not a medal for finishing.  The reward (besides the waffle) was helping to raise money for a great cause.  I did take the Miles for Mitchell lanyard that was in my swag bag to hang on my medal board to remind me that I did this race.

As I checked Facebook today and looked at the pictures of the race it was so fun to see pictures from around the world of people dedicating their runs for the day to Mitchell and DMD Awareness.  There is even a touching video found at http://vimeo.com/93898951 of race day.

I give this race 4 shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment