Friday, May 17, 2013

The Red Rock Relay Zion 2012



 
Red Rock Relay? What you haven’t heard of it? It’s about to become one of the biggest relay races in Utah! It provides seriously beautiful scenery that unfortunately is accompanied by seriously huge hills and high temperatures. 

We are predicting that this will become a massive event because of the amazing views that southern Utah provides. It is simply breathtaking.  The canyons, red rocks, and beautiful city run into Southern Utah University, is really what the south end of Utah is about. If you have never been to this area of the country, this race is for you!

Let me just state that this was the first relay that I have ever done. I was a little nervous and not sure what to expect. Luckily, we had an awesome team captain that had thought of everything! For those of you that have not done a relay, there is no course support. Your team provides the support that you will need on the course. My team, the Herriman Hotties, definitely provided outstanding support! 

The race itself needs a little improvement but the overall feel of the Red Rock Relay is energetic. We started our race at 6:00 a.m. and even at that early time the race announcer sounded wide awake. He certainly had his coffee and was ready to get the race started. 

As I mentioned above, the course was beautiful. However, it was not well marked. We had a teammate get lost and heard several stories of others getting lost along the way. There might still be a Red Rock team out there looking for the finish line!

Being my first relay, I didn’t know that to expect at the runner exchanges or the van exchanges. The Red Rock Relay didn’t have any volunteers at the runner exchanges or van exchanges. In fact, we only saw four volunteers the entire race.  The fact that there was not monitoring at the exchanges really didn’t bother me until the cheating started. I know what you are thinking, cheating really? Sadly, there were teams that would rather have a better finishing time run the full race.

Frankly, because we were a bit of a slower team, we hit the exchanges and port-a-potties behind a lot of other teams. Can I just say, NASTY! I wish they would have arranged to have the potties emptied more frequently, or at all!

When we finally reached the finish line, we were so excited to be done! It was great to run across with the team and celebrate our accomplishment. But by the time we got there, well we were the only ones cheering. 

More positives, the medals were great. You got to choose a medal or a necklace with a charm. Really great idea and I loved that we got to pick. The shirts were great; I wear mine all the time! And when I wrote into the Red Rock Relay to discuss my experience, what I got back was a quick, fun filled response that addressed all of my issues and asked my opinion. Nothing better than to feel like you were listened to and your opinion mattered.

The people behind the Red Rock Relay have definitely won my loyalty and will have the Herriman Hotties returning year after year. This race earned 3 and a half shoes. We look forward to the improvements and can’t wait to see you in September!


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've ran this relay the last 2 years and there is no comparison. Last year as you mentioned, only a few volunteers. The previous year there was one or two at every exchange. This last years port-of -potties were scarce! Two, two at a van exchange? The previous year there were rows at a major exchange like that. Also, teams would admit that they were running both vans at the same time, so they could finish and avoid the heat the next day. There was such a different feeling this last year at the finish line. It was dead! There were so many teams that didn't run as relay should be ran (one person at a time). I still had fun both years, because your team and other teams you rub elbows with all the way to the finish line, makes it a great experience. I know The RRR team will do their best to not let last years experience happen again.

    ReplyDelete